On the right is an un-dyed skein of yarn from the same “sheep-lot” (natural, un-dyed wool) and on the left is the result of dying half a skein with turmeric! I love to use turmeric on face, as you can see in this post! I have to thank the boyfriend for encouraging me to do this, as well as actually doing most of the work AND lending me his pots, stove and floor for yarn dying purposes!
Here is the process we used:
We took half a skein of undyed wool and placed in it a number of pots until we found one where the skein comfortably fit with enough “mixing room” (if you want an even colour you don’t want the yarn to be tightly packed). We used this opportunity to note how much water was needed to comfortably cover the skein.
We filled the (empty) pot with water and poured in some turmeric… boy did we pour in turmeric!
We brought the mix to a simmer on the stove… and added more turmeric! I don’t really know anything about spice chemistry, but I know you can dissolve more salt/sugar when it’s warm so I added extra turmeric to be safe! It simmered for about 45 minutes.
We placed the skein in the bowl and let it simmer on and off for a few hours, mixing regularly but carefully to avoid felting the yarn.
We let the yarn sit in the cooling dye bath overnight.
We rinsed, until the water ran clear.
And step number 6 is where we found out we used entirely too much turmeric. Eventually (after half an hour bent over the bathtub) the water ran clear, but when the skein dried it left turmeric dust everywhere it had touched, so we rinsed it again and again. Eventually (probably third rinse/dry cycle) the yarn stopped leaving turmeric traces everywhere. I will probably exercise caution when knitting this up in case it bleed onto other colours! And talking about other colours, here is my planned colour palette:
Natural white, natural gray and a beautiful saturated turmeric gold! I can’t wait to knit something up!
This is the Anya Skirt. I made it to wear to a country wedding on what was possibly the hottest day of the summer (45 degrees with humidex, yikes!) I know it’s a bit silly to purchase a circle skirt pattern, but the pattern came with wonderful instructions which helped through every step of the construction, and I was very keen on inserting a zipper which went all the way to the top of the waistband. The fabric is an unknown blend that was on clearance at my local fabric store.
The hardest part was attaching the zipper. Since I used my new (to me) singer 401, I didn’t have an invisible zipper foot. I nearly went crazy trying to install the zipper. The zipper kept curling into a C shape when I tried to iron the teeth (which you are supposed to do for invisible zippers). I finally went for a method that I think will work better than some of the tutorials I tried without success:
I hand basted the zipper into place
I ironed the teeth outwards: with the zipper basted into place the zipper didn’t curl on me
I stitched as close to the teeth as possible, slowly
In the end my undoing was the waistband finishing: I sewed too close to the teeth and couldn’t pull the zipper up all the way. I ran out of time before the wedding so I sewed a hook and eye on the drive to the wedding! (Too bad the car ride wasn’t longer, I would’ve taken in the straps of the crop top as well!)
And surprisingly, the hem was really, really, really, truly, very easy! I followed a popular tip to sew 1/4” from the edge of the fabric, fold up along that edge, and fold up again. Then I stitched it down! That’s it!
I unfortunately didn’t get any pictures during the wedding day, it was so humid and hot that my camera lens fogged up immediately when I took it outside! Thankfully the couple’s photographer was able to get some beautiful photos for them despite the weather!
I have to say I will definitely be wearing a circle skirt to another wedding, it so much fun on the dance floor when spinning around! I even wore some matching hot pink shorts underneath for when the skirt flew up!